Meaningful Improvements Made Across People, Planet and Performance
Throughout 2022, Koppers achieved important advances toward creating sustainable value for the company and its stakeholders. Some key highlights include:
- Enhanced the company's long-term Sustainability Plan and formalized a Sustainability governance structure.
- Improved safety performance with 19 out of 34 facilities working accident-free (an increase from 16 in 2021).
- Expanded investment in career growth and continuing education opportunities for employees through
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 49% since the baseline year of 2007, moving closer to the company's goal of a 50% reduction by 2030.
- Achieved record-setting financial results including record sales and record adjusted EBITDA.
- Issued a number of patents, including on a process to produce a coal tar pitch with low impurity content that has the potential to serve the emerging electric vehicle (EV) and lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery markets globally.
- Received its own US EPA registration for DCOI wood preservative, which replaces a non-Koppers product that regulators have phased out of use.
- Earned recognition for the third consecutive year from
Newsweek magazineas one of "America's Most Responsible Companies."
- Received recognition from
USA TODAYon its first ever list of "America's Climate Leaders," which consists of companies across the United Statesthat achieved the greatest reduction in their core emissions intensity between 2019 and 2021, specifically Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions in relation to revenue.
"With each year, our culture of Sustainability becomes more fully rooted in all aspects of our business," said
President and Chief Executive Officer
To read the 2022 CSR and learn more about Sustainability at Koppers, click here.
Koppers, with corporate headquarters in
For more information, visit: www.koppers.com. Inquiries from the media should be directed to Ms. Jessica Franklin Black at BlackJF@koppers.com or 412-227-2025. Inquiries from the investment community should be directed to Ms. Quynh McGuire at McGuireQT@koppers.com or 412-227-2049.
Safe Harbor Statement
Certain statements in this press release are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and may include, but are not limited to, statements about sales levels, acquisitions, restructuring, declines in the value of Koppers assets and the effect of any resulting impairment charges, profitability and anticipated expenses and cash outflows. All forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties.
All statements contained herein that are not clearly historical in nature are forward-looking, and words such as "outlook," "guidance," "forecast," "believe," "anticipate," "expect," "estimate," "may," "will," "should," "continue," "plan," "potential," "intend," "likely," or other similar words or phrases are generally intended to identify forward-looking statements. Any forward-looking statement contained herein, in other press releases, written statements or other documents filed with the
Many of these risks, uncertainties and contingencies are beyond our control, and may cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from anticipated results, performance or achievements. Factors that might affect such forward-looking statements include, among other things, the impact of changes in commodity prices, such as oil and copper, on product margins; general economic and business conditions; disruption in the
412 227 2025
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/koppers-releases-2022-corporate-sustainability-report-301864433.html